Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Le Cordon Bleu Week 2: Two tarts

My second week at Le Cordon Bleu Paris began with a bang - or make that two: an onion tart and an apple tart. Check these out:
onion tart
tarte aux pommes
The onion tart (with anchovies, black olives, capers, garlic, thyme, and blanched tomatoes) is typical of Southern France, and the tarte aux pommes is a classic French pastry. I need to practice rolling my dough and perfect my cutting abilities in order to make the presentation more precise. Otherwise, these were fun to make and will make lovely additions to my meal repertoire.


As we enjoyed these creations, my in-laws and I commented on how much more real the food is in France. The idea of going to the market to buy fresh products is deeply engrained in everyday life. Of course processed foods are also readily available, but I feel healthier eating "back to basics". For example, I used flour, sugar, butter, an egg, cinnamon, vanilla, apples, and oh yes Calvados to make this tarte aux pommes. The recipe calls for very little sugar, actually, and so I didn't think twice about giving some to my son for dessert. They are real, clean, man-of-the-earth ingredients. I think this is why the French are generally not over weight - because the patisseries also use these same ingredients. No high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors. I'm willing to bet that Parisians would rather be caught dead than purchase a frozen tarte aux pommes when there are pastry shops at every corner. In fact, I don't think I've seen frozen tarte aux pommes in my neighborhood supermarkets.


Return to the real stuff, and you'll loose weight, I say. Also walk a few miles a day, and this will do the trick. I don't miss driving a car and I don't crave food from a box. I feel healthier in Paris even though I'm eating enough to kill a small horse.

1 comment:

  1. also, don't eat giant portions.
    i think the "back to basics" you write of is definitely taking hold in the US. witness the organic craze and local foods movement....

    the onion tart looks great (as does the tarte aux pommes), but is it too strong? the anchovies alone seem like it would be enough, sans the olives? i can't wait to sample for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete