Friday, March 4, 2011

House of Jaipur: A bit of India in Trinidad

A dear friend took me out for a goodbye lunch at one of my favorite places: House of Jaipur. Located in an unassuming street in Woodbrook (a residential/commercial area in Port of Spain), this tea house is an oasis from the bustling, trafficky, concrete hood in which it lives. 
As soon as you enter, you're transformed to India. The proprietor has impeccable taste and everything from the furniture to the cushion covers and picture frames are for sale. You can come here for a spot of tea and a sweets platter and also stay for lunch - a colorful, aromatic, delectable lunch.


We had samosas and dosas, accompanied by a lovely masala chai. 
The burnt reds and oranges and the glittery lamps shades and table cloths were beautiful. But the most fabulous part of the lunch was spending time with my friend. I'll miss her and this lovely Indian oasis in the Caribbean.

1 comment:

  1. I have lived in Trinidad and Tobago for all my years and i live in Woodbroke and have never seen this place. it looks great. i would find it asap

    ReplyDelete