Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Croque for you, Madame?

Today I had a croque madame for lunch at Les Deux Magots. My husband and I can't seem to get enough of this place (and its hot chocolate). My in-laws arrived today, and it was the logical place to take them for their first truly Parisian lunch experience. My croque madame was perfection - the most perfectly fried egg and delicious cheese and ham on toast. Oh so French, oh so good.
croque madame
Speaking of in-laws, you may be wondering how I propose to take an intensive eight-month culinary and pastry course with a toddler on board. The answer is simply that I have the best in-laws a girl could wish for. Recently retired, they've decided to come to Paris to be with our son while I'm in class. They rented an apartment near ours, and are about to embark on their new career - being awesome full-time grandparents.

So to all those fantastic grandparents out there, I say hooray. In Beijing, China, it is very common to see grandparents with their grandchild (it is usually only one that they have, after all.) The Chinese have an unparallel respect for grandparents and they hold important roles in the family, unlike other countries, where they are often cast off to a nursing home. They have, after all, lived through more of the good times and bad and can share more about life than others. For this reason, I'm thrilled that my son will have this exposure to wisdom, experience, and most importantly, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment