Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What's Cooking at Roland Garros

A lovely way to spend a Sunday in Paris: watching a tennis match at Roland Garros. It was my first time at this elegant and legendary event, and even though I enjoyed watching tennis, I was also interested in what was for lunch, of course. The result = culture shock.


Sushi, organic carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes, tuna salad with balsamic vinegar, and Perrier. Sounds like the menu from a chic diner, huh? Well, it wasn't the menu at a restaurant, but at Roland Garros.


I'm used to attending sporting events in the US and eating hot dogs, pizza, french fries, coke, cotton candy, peanuts, and budweiser beer.  Not at Roland Garros. Here, people wear kakhi pants, polo shirts, and prefer to munch on salad and sparkling water while watching a match. Can you imagine this at Nascar? I've never been to a Nascar race, but something tells me it would not be the menu of choice.


Of course you can also find a nice cold beer, wine, and there is even a full-blown restaurant at this tennis village, but for the most part, this is what you see:
you don't have to adjust your eyes - yup, that's US$5.65 for cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks
my personal favorite sweater-over-the shoulders preppy tennis look
fruit juice and smoothies
A culture shock, yes, but a welcome one. I can count the number of obese people I've seen in France with one hand. 'Nough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment