Thursday, May 19, 2011

What were you doing this morning at 8:30?

Let me guess...you got ready for work, got into your car, and went to the office? or perhaps you got the kids ready for school? or maybe you went to the gym? or slept in? or took a walk? or had a long breakfast with an old friend? or went to the airport to catch a flight? or studied for an exam? 


Well, I was gutting a fish. Bright and early at 8:30am on the dot. Guts and gills were flying around, scales were jumping like Mexican jumping beans, fish bile was oozing out, fins were being chopped off, and the smell. Oh, the smell. It is 2:30pm and I still can't get the smell off my hands. 


I didn't want to get my camera all covered in fish innards to take a "before" shot, but I'm sure you can imagine that butchery for yourself. This is the result:
sea bream in an aniseed and pastis reduction with fennel
It was our first practical with Chef Poupard, and he was great. Gave us helpful feedback, and had a positive and energetic attitude.


Speaking of fish, I stumbled upon an awesome little Japanese restaurant the other day. Don't ask me what it's called because I forgot to take note of the name, but it was like stepping into my own little zen cave. I had to study for my written cuisine exam (which I took yesterday and think I did super well, by the way), and this restaurant was the perfect place to study. I had a sushi and tempura udon plate, and it hit the spot.



I've always admired Japanese plating presentation. I'm taking notes. 


The best part about my lunch was the message written on my drink napkin. It was so me at this point in my life. I'd like to share it with you and spread the word.
My translation: 
A chance encounter.
In life, when an opportunity presents itself, you must seize it because it may be unique. 
Shorter is the moment, faster and stronger is the heartstring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment