Thursday, February 17, 2011

Red snapper - eye and all

Inspired by the beautiful red snapper I bought at the public market, I decided to give our family an omega 3 boost. Here is a super easy recipe that will clean out the arteries that you clogged with that Trinidadian "oil down".
Pick a couple of pink beauties at the market. The key to choosing a fresh fish is to look at its eyes - they should not be cloudy. Ask the fishmonger to clean them and take off the scales but to leave them whole.
To prepare, wash them and place them individually on aluminum foil. Marinate with olive oil, coarse sea salt, garlic, and herbs de provence. I love this mix of herbs. You can buy many varieties, but most include marjoram, thyme, rosemary, basil, fennel, summer savory, oregano, bay leaves, and lavender. Make sure to rub the marinating ingredients on both sides of the fish and also in the inside cavity.
Wrap them up in their individual aluminum foil and bake in 385 degrees for about 30 mins. Cooking times can very depending on the size of the fish, so check to make sure the fish is cooked, but not dry. You can also place these on a grill.
The result will be a flavorful and aromatic white fish skin that you pick with a fork. Healthy and delicious. I served this dish with shitake and white mushrooms sauteed in butter, salt and pepper, and a side of basmati rice.
When I was little, I used to call this "pescado con ojo", or "fish with eye" - what I meant was that I wanted to eat the whole fish for dinner. You know what the best part is, don't you? Yes, the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment