Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rite of Passage

You may have noticed that I've not posted an entry in a few days. That's because it happened, ladies and gentlemen. The thing that must happen to anyone who aspires to become a chef. I cut my finger. Majorly.
3 stitches 3cm (I'll spare you the gory photos)
Bleeding + ambulance + bleeding + hospital + more bleeding + three stitches = out of cooking commission. I didn't cut my finger while cutting anything. I cut it while washing my newly sharpened chef's knife. That's right, the big one. Soapy hands + thin sponge = 3 cm cut. It turns out the most common way to cut yourself is while washing your knives or taking them out or putting them away. Please take note and be careful.


When the paramedics arrived they pulled open the cut and told me that I hadn't cut a tendon nor could they see the bone. Good news. The sharp, straight edge made a straight and clean cut. Thank goodness we have six days without class this week, so I hope it can heal in time for next week's practicals.  


When he saw my bandaged finger, Chef Terrien told me I'll forever have "un souvenir du Cordon Bleu". It's also a rite of passage, a mark, a brand, that says you've bled the necessary blood to call to the almighty chefs of Christmas past and say, "Can I now be one of you? I'm ready, bring it on!" This sucks, however, so I hope it's the first and last cut or burn (I'm told burns are the worst).


I think I'll focus on eating rather than cooking this weekend, so look for entries about Parisian patisseries' Easter displays. They're all over town and all gorgeous.

6 comments:

  1. yes, please! post photos of those displays :)
    besitos

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! Glad you are alright, the finger is intact, and you have a good attitude about it...I like the rite of passage spin. Our pal Victor Turner would be proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Vero!
    Sorry to hear about your cut but at least it was a clean cut! :) Just kidding... Heal quickly but take advantage of the break and visit great spots in Paris. By the way, you might already know about this place but just in case you don't: Librairie Gourmande. (I haven't been there but read it's amazing.) Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Vera! Just ended up in your blog after searching for Cordon Bleu blogs. I'll start the Basic Cuisine in November this year, so it's a delight to read about people's experience at LCB. Hope that your finger heals quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Paulo. That is wonderful that you'll be starting at LCB in November - it'll surely be an unforgettable experience for you!

    ReplyDelete