Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A note on cutting up vegetables into tiny little squares

It's called a brunoise, and it's difficult to attain.


The definition of the brunoise concept on wikipedia is the following: 
En cuisine, une brunoise est une garniture de légumes ou de fruits coupés en dés de 2 x 2 x 2 mm. (I'm in France and my wikipedia page is in French, so I'll translate. It would be fun to know whether or not this link is also in French when you open it despite not being in a French-speaking country.) Anyway, it reads: 
In cuisine, a brunoise is a garnish of vegetables or fruit diced into 2 x 2 x 2 mm cubes
That's right. 2 millimeters. At one of my practicals this week, our task was to make a clarified consomme of veal and beef with vegetables diced into - you guessed it - a brunoise.


This is the way to learn how to use your knife. This is also the way to slice up your fingers if you're not careful. Luckily, I managed to not cut myself, even though some were not so lucky. 


In three words: I can brunoise (even though I'm not sure this is a verb). I took my time, as opposed to the chefs, who are so apt at this little exercise, that they can do it without looking - yikes! I succeeded in making the tiniest little cubes of carrots, celery, daikon radish and green beans you've ever seen in your life. Take a look:
my paring knife serves as a perspective reference


my clarified consomme with a puff pastry cheese stick
My final dish was a success, but I couldn't help thinking what was the anthropological purpose of this kind of cut? I mean, I can't think of any other reason why a culture would ever come up with this other than to be dainty and I guess elegant. I mean really. It looks pretty. That's about it. Right?


TIP: Puff pastry cheese sticks are delish and super easy to make (if you know how to roll puff pastry, that is). Roll out four folds, brush egg wash, top with parmesan cheese, and put in the oven. 

5 comments:

  1. So that they all cook at the same rate. Uneven sized pieces would result in some being under cooked and some being over cooked. If the pictures are your handy work, NICE JOB! They're perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that when you come back! Please be careful with your fingers ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'll be risking brunoising until I've invested in a set of super sharp knives!

    The anthropological purpose...? Well, it *does* look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks pretty Vero.
    You can change your Wikipedia to English by putting "en" in the URL. Yours came up with fr...goes there by default since you are in France (based on IP address).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm loving all the cooking tips!

    ReplyDelete