Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pomeracs

Have you ever heard of these little guys? Well, they're beautiful and delicious little bits of tropical heaven. 


I was first introduced to them by our good friend who owns three still life paintings of pomeracs (also known as "malay apples") by Che Lovelace. I fell in love with the paintings and requested Che, one of Trinidad's foremost artists, a surfer, and a friend, to paint one for us. It turns out he had painted a fourth piece in the pomerac series in 2006. Check this out. Our gorgeous pomerac still life and Che Lovelace original which now hangs in our living room:

Che Lovelace pomeracs, 2006


As you can see, they look like little magenta pears. They're in season now, so I finally had the chance to taste them for myself. I picked some up by the side of the road today.  Devon (photographed below) sold me four little pomeracs. I took a bite, and loved it. Underneath the merlot-colored skin is a pearly-white flesh that tastes like tangy pear. I gave my 21-month-old son a taste, and he loved it and asked for more. 





I've not seen them anywhere other than Trinidad, but I've been told they also grow in Suriname. I've read that any food of purple/blue color (eggplants, blueberries, beets, and I'm guessing pomeracs), help reduce the risk of heart disease, reverse memory loss, and may prevent cancer. http://www.thedietchannel.com/Eating-A-Rainbow-Part-4-Health-Benefits-Of-Blue-Purple-Foods.htm


Pomeracs: refreshing, healthy, and simply adorable. Maybe they'll become the next pomegranates? I'm sure they're related.

*About the roti blog...it's coming soon.


Two links to Che Lovelace's work:
http://www.exhibitiona.com/pages/home.aspx

http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/features/finch/finch4-27-09.asp

6 comments:

  1. Vero,

    Your exotic pomeracs are the very humble "pomarrosas" that grow in many Cartagena patios. Chances are you ate more than a few of those in your childhood.

    Do make sure not to confuse it with the "acki", a similar, but toxic fruit. They smell like roses, hence the name. I remember seing them sold in the States as "pommeroses".

    We have several varieties in Colombia; my favorite is the one we call "perita" (little pear) in Barranquilla. Peritas are a very sweet delicacy, best when eaten cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pomeracs = pomarrosas? i never would've guessed.... but they look lovely.

    can you make juice with them? or use them to bake pies? or just eat them as-is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pomarrosas, eh? I totally remember those from my childhood, and yes they also have that "rose" smell and taste. I think they are surely related, but I've never seen them with that magenta color...Check out the photos on this link about pomarrosas. They are a different color and the skin is a lot thicker:

    http://articulos.infojardin.com/Frutales/fichas/pomarrosas-jambolero-pomarroso-syzigium-jambos.htm

    Fascinating. I'm sure it's the same plant, but the fruit somehow evolved to look differently on the island. Interesting.

    Maybe I'll try baking a pomerac tort. I think it would work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magenta color appears when the fruit is ripe. It is actually the same species. Check this out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pommerac
    and
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomarrosa

    Interesting how many names it gets...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nana,

    DULCE DE POMARROSA (Amazonas)

    INGREDIENTES
    16 pomarrosas
    ½ libra de azúcar
    ¾ litros de agua
    PREPARACIÓN
    Se parten las pomarrosas en cascos, se botan las pepas y se ponen a calar en un almíbar liviano hecho con azúcar y agua, hasta que esté a su gusto.

    Las peritas son más dulces y se comen así...

    ReplyDelete