Saturday, January 22, 2011

Did you know you can eat the skin of a butternut squash?

Well, you can!


Yesterday I moseyed on over to my local fruit and vegetable stand to get some inspiration for dinner. 





I found some gigantic pumpkins. There are dozens of varieties of pumpkins in the world, and I have no idea what these are called. I do know that Trinidadians use them a lot and refer to them simply as "pumpkin". I use them to make quinoa and pumpkin soup, which I'll tell you about later. On this day, however, I was overwhelmed by the thought of lugging one of these babies onto my car, up to my apartment, and somehow cutting it up. Can you imagine? If you notice in the photo, the pumpkins are bigger than the bucket on the right-hand side. I would need a machete like the one my coconut water buddy uses. I'm kidding, you can ask for them to be cut up for you. 


But I wasn't in the mood for these big mamas. I wanted something a little more tender, sweeter... I needed a side dish, and butternut squash seemed to make more sense. 


If you have ever doubted buying a nice butternut squash because the thought of having to cut off that hard skin overwhelms you, fear no more. You can eat the skin! So this is what I made:


Roasted Butternut Squash 


Butternut squash
1/4 cup Brown sugar 
Olive Oil


Cut up the butternut squash into one-inch pieces. Place in roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil and brown sugar. Bake for one hour in 400 degrees or until golden and the brown sugar has made the edges of the squash caramelize. No need to peel the squash. You can even leave the seeds - they'll also roast! But you may need more oven time to make sure they are tender enough to eat.


Buen provecho! This means Bon Appetit in Spanish, by the way. Incidentally, how do you translate that into English? 

1 comment:

  1. I've always eaten the skin - never even thought of removing it before! I make a similar recipe but add to the above about 2 cloves crushed garlic and a sprinkle or more of dried/fresh thyme :) Keep the recipes coming - I'm always on the look out for something new.

    ReplyDelete